Monday, March 3, 2014

GAPS & My Nephew's Day 1

Well, here we go again! Though this is not GAPS Intro. It is the transition from the Standard American Diet to the Full GAPS diet. So essentially it's a lot like going from Full GAPS to Intro. It sucks!!! So we expect a lot of die-off and flu like symptoms. And this time it is going to be for my Nephews! Ahhhhhh!! And I decided I needed this documented! Because I have A LOT of doubting Thomas's sounding this whole thing.

WHY?
First of all I want to establish what has gotten us here today..... Currently my Niece N is in Denver for Open Heart Surgery with my brother and his wife. She is 6months old and was born with DiGeorge Syndrome, and has severe heart defects (please pray for her and her family). I have volunteered to help watch their two boys, G-man age 4 and E-man age 2 along with my three kids! Call me crazy, but I have much peace about the decision! lol My mom will be watching them through the nights and get them ready in the mornings, and I will be taking care of them while she is at work. So we should have them for a couple ISH weeks, or more.

I am hoping to at least have enough time to get them to the point of zero food aversions or sensory issues. G-man of course craves the carbs and sugars and has texture issues. E-man, same thing but he recently started pocketing foot, which is something my son RJ use to do before GAPS. They just hold the food in their mouth and won't swallow it. I remember when RJ would try to swallow he would gag. So these are all things I hope to have resolved by the time their Dad gets home!

So needless to say, my brother and most people that know G think it's just in his personality to be a picky eater. He's just stubborn, but I totally disagree and I have been hounding my brother about it forever and he has told me if you really think you can do it have at it!! It honestly freaks me out how very little nourishment G-man gets and that is my driving force. Not only that, but to simplify my Brother and his wife's life. I think people don't realize how exhausting it is to constantly be fighting a kid over food. Parent's try to push veggies and push healthy things, but they are only making it harder on themselves by not getting the biggest culprit to this problem out of the picture.. And that is Refined Carbs and Sugars. OR really anything that feeds Candida. Both boys have suffered chronic diaper rash as well (candida). So we know we are on the right path here and I have no doubts that God has a hand in this all coming together for a reason! :) He is sooooo good!

Poor or delayed speech, food aversions, sensory issues, food pocketing or packing, picky eaters, diaper rash, whiny personalities or behavioral issues are all things reported improved from the GAPS diet.

GAPS Day 1

Essentially this isn't day one, it's more like day 2 1/2. We haven't removed fruit, yogurt, or cheese and have kept those at a minimal.

Breakfast
This morning started out with eggs, and yogurt with honey. My mom said the boys ate a lot. They were in great spirits when I got there this morning. They played really good for about an hour, when 9:30 hit, fatigue set it. You could watch their eyes glaze over and their cheeks get red. They both plopped on the couch and stared at their toys! lol My son RJ just wanted to play and didn't understand why they didn't want to play! That is what the rest of the morning consisted of. We read some books and did some cuddling, it was REALLY easy! lol

Lunch
I made sure to start lunch early I knew they would be extra tired and wanted to get it over with so they could pass out and get some rest. G was so disappointed, it's like you knew he was expecting a pb&j! He just looked at the veggies and turkey and started crying, "no, no." E was so excited to eat, and then he had a look of disappointment, and tried to eat some turkey.. BUT two bites and he wouldn't swallow his food. G never even touched it. My kids devoured it and asked for 3rds!! lol I love it!! (And to know that my kids have been here before!) So we sat down to watch a show for their nap, and E went right out, and G didn't go out right away but his fatigue was growing more and more. E woke up and then G passed out! I later realized that E pocketed his lunch in his mouth and even fell asleep with it in. Oooops.

Snack
Well after E woke up I was starting a snack, but G wanted nothing to do with snack. He knew that their would have to be some kind of consumption of something he didn't like! E didn't want anything to do with it either. All I was asking for was a little bite of cucumber and then he could have some apple. He just wouldn't do anything and he's suppose to be the easy one! Meanwhile G had fallen asleep on the couch. So I cooked up some Hamburger patties, which is always been a winner for my kids. I sat in the living room with E to eat some and he totally went for it. GREAT! But then he started pocketing it again.Oh well, hopefully he will eat it! So I let E and my kids go outside for a little bit and enjoy the warm day in the snow!

Finally G woke up and expressed hunger, so I showed him the extra Hamburger Pattie I had left, and he totally wanted it! So he ate almost half of one, and took a bite of a cucumber and I gave him 2 slices of an apple. And the least part of his last apple fell on the floor, my dog ate it up so fast you wouldn't believe it. G's face blew up beet red and started screaming. OMG just like when he was a hungry baby and you didn't feed him right that second, you thought he would die from a heart attack. Scary, but he calmed right down when I explained to him I would get him another one, and he was so good and patient while I finished nursing Brenna. Can you imagine people! Your sugar bugs out of control and you finally get a heavenly piece of a sweet apple and the dog eats it.... I would freaken lose it!!!!! I'm proud of him! :) And I tried to let E eat some apple finally and he just kept pocketing it. And I would try and try to get him to spit it out and he would just cry and cry. His mouth was so full he couldn't even talk!

The rest of the afternoon consisted of grumpy kids. G was just yelling at RJ, and was not having anything!! lol E was making good friends with the floor, because every time I tried to get the food out of his mouth he would cry and lay on the floor. And my Venita was is a great mood, she always is with a full belly! As soon as Gramma came home, oh my GOSH G just started throwing fits about nothing. He was also POed that Grandpa didn't give him any gum. He was just at his wits end by that time. But Gramma was good, and I think she quickly realized that G views her as more of a softy, and stayed stern with him, but still loving, as Gramma always is! :)

Dinner!
Oh dinner!! Went way better than I expected it to... We had Beef Roast with carrots and a full salad. Last time G had carrots he almost threw up so I didn't even put it on his plate, I just wanted him to eat something. So just meat on his plate with his salad on the side. He just cried and said no. So then RJ asked for butter, and then Venita asked for butter, and then G asked for butter and then E asked for butter. So they all were eating butter, and G was so excited about it and just wanted more and I thought well hey, thats awesome! He likes butter! So I gave him some more... But then as he was so delicately eating his butter his plate slipped of the table and shattered onto the floor. OMGosh there it came again, the blood curdling scream, his face bright red, eyes bugging out of his head!!!!! lol Gramma and Grandpa where trying to calm him down and I got up and showed him the butter on the table and said it's okay I will get you more, it's okay... And he calmed right down. I'm so genius! ;) lol Anyway, he sat there so patient waiting for us to finally clean up all the glass all over the floor, and I got him more steak with butter melted over it. He didn't want the steak, but my husband with the magic touch, got him to take one bite..... And it was on.. He chowed down! Then he had a few bites left and had been sitting there for a while and we got him to take one more bite, but he ended up gagging on the last bite and throwing up a little. But we were so proud of him. Everyone was cheering him on and you could tell he was proud of what he accomplished at dinner.

Now E! I had to finally hang him over the garbage and squeeze his cheeks and scoop out the food, and he was not a happy guy. BUT he ate incredible, he downed the carrots, and the meat and some cucumbers and tomatoes from the salad. Wow, but then he started pocketing his food again. Gramma stayed with him trying to coax him into swallowing, while me and G-man went and ran an epsom salts bath for them. Gramma was quite cleaver and gave him some ice to eat, which got him to swallow the rest of the food in his mouth. YAY!!!

So in all honesty, I'm amazed at how well they did with all things considered. I am sooo proud of them! We shall see what tomorrow will bring! :)








No comments:

Post a Comment